Saturday, August 27, 2011

Simple Romaine Lettuce Wraps with Carrot Tomato Spread and Green Onions

The spread hardly needs a recipe, It's just 3 ingredients but tastes great when wrapped in romaine lettuce with lots of thinly sliced or minced green onions.


It's easy to make, healthy, light (yet filling) and something you can eat with your hands, which most people enjoy. This serves 1 person as a meal, or more as a light appetizer. I like it alot because it uses no sea salt. I've added sea salt and I didn't like it. 


Ingredients:
1 cup carrots (2)
1 cup roma or grape tomatoes
1/2 a large avocado or 1 small

In a food processor add carrots and tomatoes and break down as well as you can.


Then slice avocado in half lengthwise, pull apart, and add in the half that doesn't hold the pit. This way the other half will keep better at room temperature.


Process until slightly chunky or smooth depending on preference.

For best tasting results, use very ripe, and flavourful produce - even lettuce can be bitter sometimes, taste before use.

To Assemble:

Wash and dry romaine lettuce leaves or hearts. Spoon the spread onto each leaf and sprinkle generously with minced or thinly sliced green onions.

(I only use the green part - replant the white part in a container of soil and you will have green onions whenever you need them.)

Serve as is, or fold the sides of the leaf over, and tie with a green onion, or chive. You can wrap them tightly, or loosely to expose some of the spread.

(I tend to just assemble them as I eat)

4 comments:

  1. I'd be curious as to how you serve this. You call it a spread which makes me think of something I would eat on crackers or raw veggies but your picture makes me think it's more of a soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara. Maybe I should take a picture of it set up next time I eat it. I put it on romaine hearts, sprinkle green onions on top, wrap it up & eat it. I usually just add 1 roma tomato and 2 carrots & it's still creamy & thick enough to spread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I'm a big fan of anything green onion- and recently, I started a dairy and gluten free diet, so the more fruits and veggies; the better! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "Glass Half Full" is not me, I am thewoodenspoongirl.blogspot.com - I'll have to fix that. Still, going to try your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete